[vtk-developers] vtkLiteObject?

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Wed Apr 10 09:29:13 EDT 2002

    AC> The problem is that there was already
    AC> vtkReferenceCountedObject long time ago. Also prefix

Why is that a problem?

    AC> ReferenceCounted at least to me (and Lisa) implies that
    AC> vtkObject is not reference counted.

Yes, that makes sense.  Read on...

    >> vtkReferenceCountedThing, vtkReferenceCountedObject,
    >> vtkReferenceCountedObj

    AC> Same reasoning as before.

If you call it a vtkReferenceCountedThing instead of a
vtkReferenceCountedObject then there is no longer the problem of
vtkObject appearing as if it were not reference counted.  Yes, 'Thing'
is not nice maybe Entity then?

vtkReferenceCountedEntity?

with vtkObject being a derived class?

    >> vtkGCObject, vtkGCObj

    AC> Please drob the GC prefix. VTK does not do garbage collection
    AC> and I think most people that know how GC works would be
    AC> against it anyway.  Reference counting is not garbage
    AC> collection.

Agreed.

    >> Why not drop the vtk prefix?  ReferenceCountedObject,
    >> RefCountObj, GCObject, GCObj.

    AC> Huh, because it would then clash with just about any C++
    AC> toolkit there is.

Not every toolkit does ReferenceCounting.  My point was maybe you
could look at using another prefix or maybe none at all.  My
suggestions were not meant to be set in stone.

prabhu