[vtk-developers] vtkLiteObject?

Andy Cedilnik andy.cedilnik at kitware.com
Wed Apr 10 07:41:12 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-04-10 at 04:14, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:
> If the reference counting from vtkObject were abstracted out into
> vtkReferenceCountedObject and vtkObject is a subclass of
> vtkReferenceCountedObject then things might be clearer.  Here are more
> possibilities.

The problem is that there was already vtkReferenceCountedObject long
time ago. Also prefix ReferenceCounted at least to me (and Lisa)
implies that vtkObject is not reference counted.

We cannot use term vtkSuperObject because there might be another one
above it, then we can start doing vtkSuperObject1, vtkSuperObject2...

> vtkReferenceCountedThing, vtkReferenceCountedObject,
> vtkReferenceCountedObj

Same reasoning as before.

> vtkGCObject, vtkGCObj

Please drob the GC prefix. VTK does not do garbage collection and I
think most people that know how GC works would be against it anyway.
Reference counting is not garbage collection.

> Why not drop the vtk prefix?
>  ReferenceCountedObject, RefCountObj,  GCObject, GCObj.

Huh, because it would then clash with just about any C++ toolkit there
is.

				Andy