[vtk-developers] Stage 1 of new VTK-Python package complete.

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Thu Apr 4 12:59:32 EST 2002

hi,

I just commited a bunch of changes to the VTK Python package code.

  (1) Added directories for the various GUI widgets.  tk, wx and qt.
  Moved the various classes there.

  (2) Added a GtkVTKRenderWindow class inside the gtk sub-package.
  This uses GtkGLArea for the base widget and avoids all flicker
  related problems.  Works fine under RH, Debian and Solaris.  Many
  thanks to Dave Reed for testing it out and suggesting the use of
  GtkGLArea.

  (3) Added a vtk.util package with a single module called
  vtkMethodParser.py.  I plan to use this for some of the "black box"
  testing code that I'll add later.

  (4) Moved the vtkLoadPythonTkWidgets.py to vtk/tk/.

  (5) Updated the files in Wrapping/Python to use the code in the new
  package structure.

I've tested the code with some of my code and it all seems to work
fine here.  Please do test out the new code and let me know if there
are problems.

I have a few questions:

 (1) There is a file called vtkGetDataRoot.py in Wrapping/Python.  I
 want to know if this file can be removed or moved to a more suitable
 place in the new package structure?  Maybe in vtk.util?

 (2) Inside vtkpython.py there is a function that is supposed to be
 useful for regression testing.  Could that also be relocated
 somewhere else?

Your suggestions are welcome.

thanks,
prabhu