[vtk-developers] RE: vtkpython

Blezek, Daniel J (CRD) blezek at crd.ge.com
Tue Sep 4 14:14:28 EDT 2001

David,

  We can keep vtkpython around, but with a "depreciated" message printed.  vtkpython could just
import vtk, and emulate the existing functionality.  I'd like to give this some thought to make
Python and Tcl more like they should be.  I believe the .dll's are properly named(i.e.
vtkImagingPython.{so|dll}) and shouldn't cause conflicts.  I like the idea of making a proper python
package, it would allow programs that don't require Tk to work without it, and allow you to use just
the subset of vtk that you would need for your application.

  As a general question to the list: would changing from 'vtkpython' to 'vtk' cause tremendous
problems?

Thanks,
-dan