[vtk-developers] Re: vtkpython

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.ca
Tue Sep 4 12:30:40 EDT 2001

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Blezek, Daniel J (CRD) wrote:

> Jim and David,
>
>   Since I'm in the re-organization mood, is there some particular reason that vtkpython is
> "vtkpython" rather than "vtk"?  Since the code can only be used from witith python, is the "python"
> suffix necessary?  Is there an official maintainer of the Python part of VTK?

The name 'vtkpython' was a nice match for 'vtktcl', and back when they
were both .dll files it helped to distinguish them from each other.

It is nice to keep it 'vtkpython' because
1) if the name changes, a whole bunch of people will have to change their
   code (including me!)
2) just in case someone decides to make a vtk.dll or vtk.so, it is nice
   to avoid potential name conflicts (I like to be able to dump all my
   .dll and .py files into the same directory as a cheap way of 'freezing'
   a python application).

If we rename it 'vtk', then we should go all the way and separate it into
vtk.common, vtk.graphics, vtk.filtering, vtk.tk, etc.

There is no official python maintainer, as far as I know.

 - David