[vtk-developers] Re-organization of vtk Tcl packages

Blezek, Daniel J (CRD) blezek at crd.ge.com
Tue Sep 4 11:24:55 EDT 2001

Sebastien,

> > flexibility.  Each
> >sub-package can have it's own namespace under ::vtk, but for
> the moment, I
> >couldn't think of any code to put under them.  So there is
> only ::vtk
> >right now.
>
> OK. Actually packages do allow this sort of flexibility, but
> since it's not
> required at the moment, let's not worry about that.

  I didn't know this, it might be the better way to go!

>in vtk.  For beginners,
> >it's much easier to use "package require vtk" than to have
> to know what's
> >in each of the packages.
>
> Sure, but even if you are a beginner (and I'd even say
> "especially if you
> are a beginner"), you can be in trouble because the "package
> require vtk"
> will load a lot of stuff in the global space. That kind of
> thing is "easy"
> to check for an expert, but is tricky otherwise :) A
> compromise between the
> knowledge required to have a clean space and the amount of
> stuff that are
> loaded into the global env would be cool.

  Good point.  Since the wrapping code doesn't know about name spaces, all the commands to create
objects are put into the global namespace.  All the Tcl code should be moved into the ::vtk namespace
to keep things clean.

> OK, I'm not sure I can work on that this week, so basically
> I'll be happy
> to discuss and improve this new approach once I'll be at
> Kitware. In the
> meantime, I don't think we should upgrade all scripts from
> "package require
> vtktcl" to "package require vtk" until it has been tested
> thouroughly on
> Win32, don't you think so ?

  Absolutely, I was hoping that others would test this for me.  By the way, should I congratulate you
on a new job?  or just a visit...  If a new job, perhaps I can buy you a beer sometime.

-dan