[vtk-developers] IMPORTANT: Attribute data changes (vtkScalars, vtkVectors etc)

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Wed Oct 10 13:41:09 EDT 2001

As of VTK 4.0, vtkAttributeData and it's subclasses (vtkScalars, vtkVectors,
vtkNormals, vtkTensors, vtkTCoords) will be deprecated. vtkDataArray and it's
subclasses will replace these classes. For more information, download
http://public.kitware.com/files/AttributeChanges.zip and look at the pdf
documents. The perl script included in that package can be used to find out what
kind of changes  will have to be made to port programs from VTK 3.2 or older to
VTK 4.0.

CVS users:
I finished all my changes and I will commit the last few classes on November
1st. There are very few deprecation messages and I will not add more. After
November 1st, no code which uses the classes mentioned above will function. I
recommend downloading the perl script  starting to make necessary modifications
as soon as possible. Let me know if you need information. I fixed all VTK
classes/examples/tests and I will commit them with the rest of the changes.

-Berk