[vtk-developers] New vtkpython.py - comments.

Blezek, Daniel J (CRD) blezek at crd.ge.com
Thu Oct 4 08:49:44 EDT 2001

More comments:

> The question is how should __init__.py be?  Or should we have an
> all.py that loads everything?  We could put
>
> from common import *
> from hybrid import *
>
> in all.py or inside __init__.py.  The problem with __init__.py is that
> even if one did
>
> import vtk.common
>
> then the one could still access the whole library like so:
>
> vtk.vtkObject()

  I would have thought that vtk/common.py would simply load vtkCommonPython and return, possibly
setting up some utility functions or classes.  A module like rendering would need to load (in order)
common, filtering, graphics, and finally rendering(I don't remember if hybrid needs to be loaded as
well).  So each module would handle it's dependencies, and load just what it needed.  In the case of
vtk, it would load everything.

  I would also like to see some of the ancillary files like vtkRenderWidget put under the vtk
package.

This is where I cast my vote.
-dan