[vtk-developers] New vtkpython.py - comments.

Sebastien BARRE sebastien at barre.nom.fr
Wed Oct 3 11:17:39 EDT 2001

At 10/3/2001 08:40 PM, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

>     DJB> libvtkCommonPython.so into the vtk namespace, when you import
>     DJB> vtk.common.  The advantage is that you do not need to have
>     DJB> Tkinter available for most of the kits(just Rendering), and
>     DJB> so now batch Python/VTK jobs become available.  I'm not good
>
>Well, right now you could definitely import vtkpython without Tkinter.
>If you just import vtkpython you dont need an X server at all.

This is how I did for Tcl. I will commit the final version of the VTK Tcl
packages within the week. You might have a look at the vtkrendering package
(which might be loaded separately). This is the only place where Tk will be
"included" (required). Thus, if you do not use vtkrendering, Tk won't be
loaded at all.