[vtk-developers] CMake.

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Tue Oct 2 14:02:54 EDT 2001

hi,

    BH> Currently, we have this:

    BH> UNIX: CC, c++, make or gmake

    BH> I guess curses or text is the only way to go on UNIX, since
    BH> there is no standard widget set.  I guess that is why the
    BH> linux installation stuff is done mostly with curses.  Perhaps

Almost all distros have shifted to X based programs these days -
either Gtk or Qt.  They however do provide the curses based interface
in case X wont start up.  Debian of course still sticks to a curses
based interface.

    BH> motif would be better than Xt or Xaw, but it is not installed
    BH> by default on unix systems.  I agree that it would take much
    BH> longer to implement in Xt, but I don't think it would be a

Please, motif isnt standard at all under linux (atleast not yet).
Actually, how about dialog - its a shell based utility that depends on
curses.  The linux kernel uses this for kernel configuration on the
console (it uses tk for the X based configurator).  In fact the linux
kernel includes a modified version of the dialog sources that are
built when one runs 'make menuconfig'.

http://dickey.his.com/dialog/dialog.html

http://www.gnu.org/software/ncurses/ncurses.html

Then there is whiptail which I believe Redhat used to (still does?)
use for their installer.  whiptail is also compatible with dialog.

Hope this is of some use.
prabhu