[vtk-developers] CMake.

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Tue Oct 2 11:43:29 EDT 2001

I disagree.   CMake should not be trouble to build/install, and should require no more
than the tools needed to do the job you are trying to do with cmake.   If I want to build
a C++ program, all I should need is a C++ compiler and what ever build tools come natively with
the compiler.  (remember cmake is not just for VTK, so 95% of the people building VTK is not the
same group of people building cmake)

Currently, we have this:

UNIX:  CC, c++, make or gmake
WINDOWS: MSDEV and compiler, cygwin c++ and gmake, Borland and borland make
MAC OSX: c++ and gmake  (FYI tcl/tk not available yet, xt and Xaw and curses are...)

If I just want to build c++, I should not have to go on an Easter egg hunt to collect
up all of the tools required to get the build going.   I have seen this before,
you download c++ package A, and it requires, perl  and python to be installed first.
Then you get into version problems with the third party packages.

I guess curses or text is the only way to go on UNIX, since there is no standard widget set.
I guess that is why the linux installation stuff is done mostly with curses.  Perhaps motif
would be better than Xt or Xaw, but it is not installed by default on unix systems.
I agree that it would take much longer to implement in Xt, but I don't think it would be a waste
of time, and I don't think I would be hurt too much by the laughing.  ( I don't think
the author of xv, was laughed at too much for developing to the lowest common denominator
interface on X)

-Bill