[vtk-developers] style : Holiday greetings and a present of VTK4.0

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
Thu May 24 19:23:49 EDT 2001

On Fri, 25 May 2001, Sebastien BARRE wrote:

>[on the subject of tabs]
> Well, I don't mind tabs as longs as they are every 4 chars, which is my
> settings in Emacs.

Actually, the 'tab' character in emacs always corresponds to 8-char
tab stops, it's just that your 'tab' key is set to advance by 4 spaces.
In default C/C++ mode emacs will usually add spaces when you use the tab
key, it will only add tab characters if the total amount of initial
whitespace on the line is 8 chars or more.

> Anyway, I guess I've set "use space instead of space" in my VTK Emacs style.

I'll do it as well.  It's a good idea.

>[misc. constructive arguments from S. Barre snipped]
Thanks for the input, and the support.

>[on the subject of whitespace]
> I definitely support that, this is lacking in many VTK source files. I'm
> trying to add some blank lines from time to time, without being caught :)

What's the point of being sneaky about it, if you're telling us now! ;)

 - David