Improving vtk (was RE: [vtk-developers] vtknew tree and testing / examples)

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.ca
Wed Jun 27 17:40:18 EDT 2001

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

> Oh yes I understand that but to me it seemed like David meant that
> examples should be fewer.  I agree that testing code can be separated
> but dont agree that we need fewer examples.

In my opinion, some (many?) of the current examples function poorly
as examples of 'good VTK coding' and that is part of the reason for
wanting to move most of them into 'Testing.'  I think a few good
examples is better than a whole bunch of poor ones.  Also, a good
Testing script should cover extreme cases that are unlikely to
pop up in application code.

>     SB> I do not follow you exactly :) OK, I'm not familiar with these
>     SB> issues, but is there a lot of independent programmers using
>     SB> VTK for fun ? OK VTK is fun, but there are funnier things to

Sebastien, you made me laugh.  Thank you.

I haven't come across very many people that use VTK for fun, I wish
there were more.  Most people use VTK for specific projects.

It's the people that do VTK for fun that are the real troublemakers ;)

 - David