[vtk-developers] vtknew tree and testing / examples

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Wed Jun 27 15:54:27 EDT 2001

hi,

    >> Well, it really doesnt matter how you sort them so long as
    >> there is a way to tell a user where to find an example for a
    >> particular class.

    SB> As David pointed, I don't think this is how a beginner
    SB> "think", because he has no knowledge of the perfect class to
    SB> use. I do admit that the "classes to examples" links is more
    SB> targeted to experienced users, but still useful.  What a
    SB> beginner need is a way to relate a *task* to an example (or a
    SB> task to a class).

    SB> Then he could start poking around in the subset of classes
    SB> used by that specific task-oriented example, *then* use the
    SB> "classes to examples" page to check how each classe he plans
    SB> to use is working. Don't you think so ?

IMHO themes aren't bad.  The problem with themes is that every example
doesnt have to fall into a nice theme.  How do you know that some nice
pipeline used somewhere in an obscure field like say string theory
cant be used by a CFD or medical imaging person?

It really depends on who you target and for what.  To me it makes more
sense to allow the user to be able to choose how she/he wants it.
Sorting by theme solves some problems but creates a few too.  Atleast
right now, if you arent doing imaging you look in graphics, if it isnt
there check in contrib, if not there either try imaging, else holler.
With themes there would be so many possible themes (atleast 10
themes?) and you might have to poke through many more directories.

    SB> can add some "semantic" or "task-oriented" value to the
    SB> examples, that would be great.

Indeed, this seems to be a good approach.  I think the best way to do
this is as follows.

  (1) Describe each class accurately based on key words or
  descriptions and also on what the class could be used for.

  (2) Describe the examples as per theme and purpose by adding a few
  descriptive strings in them.

  (3) Process all the examples based on classes used and their
  descriptions/theme.

  (4) Present a neat interface such that the user can:

    (a) search based on theme or class or purpose.

    (b) look at all themes with respective examples.

    (c) look at classes with respective examples.

This seems to satisfy us all.  I know it is easy to say this.  But
what do you folks think?

    SB> I know, this is a problem. I should have solved it :) But I do

Well, I am not complaining, you have done so much already.

prabhu