[vtk-developers] vtknew tree and testing / examples

Sebastien BARRE sebastien at barre.nom.fr
Wed Jun 27 15:25:01 EDT 2001

At 28/06/2001 00:03, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

>Well, it really doesnt matter how you sort them so long as there is a
>way to tell a user where to find an example for a particular class.

As David pointed, I don't think this is how a beginner "think", because he
has no knowledge of the perfect class to use. I do admit that the "classes
to examples" links is more targeted to experienced users, but still useful.
What a beginner need is a way to relate a *task* to an example (or a task
to a class).

Then he could start poking around in the subset of classes used by that
specific task-oriented example, *then* use the "classes to examples" page
to check how each classe he plans to use is working. Don't you think so ?

This is lacking at the moment, hence this is an important topic and I'm
happy that Ken launched that discussion. If we can add some "semantic" or
"task-oriented" value to the examples, that would be great.

>The current links to the examples in the documentation are'nt very
>useful since the example scripts page is so *huge* that it takes way
>too long to load on most browsers, if it loads at all.  its almost 1MB
>of HTML!

I know, this is a problem. I should have solved it :) But I do not know if
it's worth it now if we change the structure of the examples' directory.
Actually I want that structure to change, so I'd better wait and write
brand new scripts.

Indeed the "full text index" page should be split too.