[vtk-developers] vtknew tree and testing / examples

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Wed Jun 27 14:33:25 EDT 2001

    >> Moreover, this would allow me to write some new Perl scripts to
    >> write a new "Links to examples" page, sorted by package :)

    DG> Sort by theme!  Sort by theme! ;) I still haven't checked out
    DG> the new tree, I really should do that soon.

Well, it really doesnt matter how you sort them so long as there is a
way to tell a user where to find an example for a particular class.

Personally, I frequently grep on the examples to see how a particular
class has been used.  Sometimes I have to cd to a different directory
to do that (but that isnt so hard).  Going by the number of times
questions on how to use vtkFooClass questions crop up on vtkusers,
lots of users dont seem to use grep. :(

The current links to the examples in the documentation are'nt very
useful since the example scripts page is so *huge* that it takes way
too long to load on most browsers, if it loads at all.  its almost 1MB
of HTML!  Possibly a search engine type of thing would help.  I used
to generate doxysearch tags (via doxytag) when I used vtkHTML to
generate the docs.  However, doxytag chokes (badly) on the current
doxygen generated docs.  I wrote a long letter to the doxygen
maintainer a long while back.  I am not sure if doxytag has improved.
Unfortunately I am horrible at perl so I cant really help Sebastien
with his scripts.

Maybe the examples link page has to be sorted out a bit.  IMHO this
would really help, sorting by theme or directory won't really matter.
I can think of disadvantages to each type of sorting.

prabhu