[vtk-developers] vtkParse.y seems to work okay. No

Sebastien BARRE sebastien at barre.nom.fr
Mon Jun 18 16:07:48 EDT 2001

At 18/06/2001 23:06, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:
>hi,

>     SB> Is it me or is it also crashing on Windows platform ? Here is
>     SB> the vtknew build :
>
>Well, the dashboard seems to be working fine.  John Biddiscombe also
>seemed to have built it okay under BC.  So I am not really sure.

OK, here is why (to my opinion).

vtkWrapTcl.exe, vtkWrapJava.exe, vtkWrapJava.exe are shipped *with* the
CVS. You do not compile them. If you remove them, the build will fail
because there are not dependencies included in the 'make' process. You have
to build them manually.

If you remove them and try to rebuild them using the DSP workplaces in the
pcmaker directory, you will get :

vtkParse.tab.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _alloca
vtkWrapTcl.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

So I guess I'm right, the current vtkParse.tab.c is not correct for Windows
users.

As a side effect, if you use CVS to get a fresh copy of the .exe you just
removed, you will be happily surprised to see that *all* the wrapping
process will happen again, even if everything was up to date before : there
is a problem in the dependency world :)

This was obvious in the new tree because there is no .exe shipped through
the new CVS tree. vtkWrap*.exe files are built automatically. So it failed
at the beginning.

I'm not sure someone has really tested a full vtkWrap*.exe rebuild on a
Windows platform.
It would be cool if someone could fix it, because the new tree does not
like that :)