[vtk-developers] vtkParse.y seems to work okay.

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Thu Jun 14 01:59:11 EDT 2001

    LW> They don't work everywhere... The HP is busted.  Your new
    LW> vtkParse.tab.c is not correct for HPUX 10.0 Rather than
    LW> defining alloca, you must #include <alloca.h>

Thanks for waking me up! I just saw the error on the dashboard.
*Sigh*

    LW> This seems to be a known problem since at least 1997.
    LW> http://www.fm.cornell.edu/usr/doc/bison-1.27/ChangeLog

    LW> Are you using an old Bison?

Indeed, I am using bison 1.22.  Any newer versions seem to have
trouble with producing vtkParse.tab.c at all.  Here is a snippet from
my original mail of long ago (28 Apr 2001):

   Under GNU Bison version 1.28, while running yacc through the
   vtkParse.y I got the foll error.

   $ yacc -b vtkParse vtkParse.y
   vtkParse.y:854: type clash (`' `str') on default action
   vtkParse.y:854: type clash (`' `integer') on default action
   $

The vtkParse.y mentioned above refers to the original vtkParse.y
before *any* of my modifications.  Which meant that vtkParse.y was
broken already.  Bison v 1.22 produced a warning instead of an error
and happily produced the vtkParse.tab.c.

I dont know how I should fix these type clash errors (which is why I
reported them in the first place asking for help from the yacc gurus).
If these errors can be fixed I think vtkParse.tab.c can be produced
using bison 1.28.  If they cannot be then I will have to manually edit
vtkParse.tab.c and include alloca.h at the appropriate place.  I'd
obviously prefer using a fixed vtkParse.y.

Would appreciate any help.  Dont you think having a vtkParse.y that
works with the latest bison is a good thing??  Please note that
vtkParse.y was buggy w.r.t bison versions > 1.22 _before_ I made any
of my chages.  So this bug has been there for quite a long while.

Many thanks in advance.

prabhu