[vtk-developers] Major failure

John Biddiscombe jbiddiscombe at skippingmouse.co.uk
Tue Feb 13 07:49:49 EST 2001

After about 6 weeks away from updates, I just did a full checkout from cvs.
I found a number of problems. The most serious is complete failure of all
code. Nothing renders or displays in any of my programs. This is probably a
trivial bug I need to locate, (Suggestions welcome...but I shan't panic
yet...), anyway...here are a few other things I found. I won't change them
as I can't test.

Several classes use vtkLargeinteger, but it is not in common\makefile.in -
linker errors follow

vtkCommon.h includes, vtkMarchingCubesCases.h vtkMarchingSquaresCases.h -
those of us using vtkcommon.h etc in precompiled headers don't like this
because they declare initialized variables. Better is to declare extern
const variables and put the actual data in a cxx file. Probably I'm the
only one who is troubled by this.

vtkMarchingCubesCases.h and vtkMarchingSquaresCases.h do not have #ifndef
__vtkxxxx_h protection blocks so multiple #includes cause trouble
(precompiled headers again)

other minor question...
vtkAssembly::GetProperty has become obsolete ??? How am I supposed to set
the colour of an assembly if I can't set a property in the holder assembly?
Seems odd...

Also, vtkAssembly property and mapper functions are commented out in
vtkAssembly.cxx but not in vtkAssembly.h : More linker errors occur. Need
to add a #ifndef VTK_LEGACY_CODE or whatever to vtkassembly.h

ttfn

John B