[vtk-developers] Re: [vtkusers] fix for large OpenGL Textures

John Biddiscombe jbiddiscombe at skippingmouse.co.uk
Fri Aug 10 08:16:03 EDT 2001

>Could we get this change incorporated into the main VTK tree? Several
>users (myself included) seem have this texture limit problem.

Certainly should. Also I'd like to see texture coordinates upgraded in some
way to allow an image of high resolution to be subdivided into patches and
then made into an array of textures. Currently an actor can have a texture,
but it's a real pain breaking a terrain dataset into tiles and applying a
different texture to each. Would there be an easy way of having an extra
(optional?) dimension in the texture coords such that the texture ID as
well as the u->v or s->t texture coord could be used.

I suspect this would be tough as gl might need to reload a texture or
textures depending on the order of points in the render. Is this a doable
thing?

JB