[vtk-developers] vtkLightKit checked in

Michael Halle halazar at media.mit.edu
Wed Sep 6 09:41:06 EDT 2000

Hello all,

I just checked in vtkLightKit into contrib of the vtk source tree.
vtkLightKit is a object that makes it easy to do a good job of
lighting scenes in vtk.  It provides a uniform interface to three
lights (a key light, a fill light, and a headlight), including
positioning, intensity, and color control.  It simplifies the choice
of light color by defining a new color spectrum derived from that of
natural incandescent sources.  Plus, it can be added to a scene in two
lines of code.  It relies on the CameraLight functionality I added
recently, but will also work with all current interactors (even
ones that try to move their own headlight).

There's an an example Tk application in
contrib/examplesTcl/LightKitViewer.tcl .  If you are building the
nightlies from CVS, please try out the LightKit and give me feedback!

Thanks.

Michael Halle
mhalle at media.mit.edu