[vtk-developers] Holiday greetings and a present of VTK4.0

John Biddiscombe jbiddiscombe at skippingmouse.co.uk
Wed Dec 27 07:25:20 EST 2000

Will et al,

>secret is that we modified gcc to dump its internal program representation

Ah yes. Very good. A plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call
it a weasel.

    * because gcc runs after the preprocessor, etc., it will handle macros.
>    * We decided to go the gcc route because we needed to swallow the
> heavily templated code that
>       the NLM Insight projects has created.

Lovely.

About the wrapping. in vtkParse.h there are fileinfo and functioninfo
structures which hold relevant wrapping information. Will there be similar
(hopefully very very similar) structures under the new gcc system which
will be available?

>CMake
>Again, this is mainly funded by NLM. This is a more flexible build
>environment than what VTK uses. It is also cross-platform and can generate
>native MSVC++ projects, etc. I've included and early description, we aren't

Poor old Borland. I'm making RPD ready for Kylix, which is the upcoming
Borland Linux/Windows compiler. I suspect I'll be better off without CMAKE.
Will you still have the basic information available in makefile.in files
for cmake to uses as input? or will this be dispensed with by new CMake
project files?

thanks

JB