[vtk-developers] Holiday greetings and a present of VTK4.0

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Fri Dec 22 14:02:18 EST 2000

hi,

    Will> Hi Folks- Some of the VTK developers in the Albany area
    Will> gathered for the traditional Holiday pizza to discuss
    Will> matters related to VTK. Our thoughts are turning to vtk4.0,

<snip>

    Will> Don't panic, these are not necessarily going to happen,
    Will> please reflect on the list and start a conversation if you
    Will> have concerns.

Looks good, and here are a couple of things that would be nice:

      1) Proper PostScript export support - using something like
      gl2ps?

      2) Improve the current reference counting mechanism.  I am not a
      c++ guru, but IMHO the vtkObject::New() kind of thing is not
      nice.  Besides, vtk currently seems to do too many things in the
      UnRegister method.  Could this be moved to the destructor?
      Using templates should make this easier.

prabhu