[vtk-developers] VTK packaging and OS X

Andrew Cunningham andrewc at vasci.com
Thu Dec 7 12:25:17 EST 2000

> As I had written a while back, I had desired to improve some of the
> VTK makefiles in order to ease packaging/installing VTK.

It would be nice if the changes you are making handled Mac OS X as well.

I must admit to some ignorance of the how the "./configure" mechanism is
maintained and updated to include "new" operating systems.

Of course, at the moment it is not possible to say what files need to be
added to the VTK source tree, but there are a couple of things that are Mac
OS X specific in a generic packaging/installing.

But for example these are things that have tripped me up when building other
./configure based build/installations.

- there is no "-lm" needed on a C++ link ( In fact -lm will cause a link to
fail)
- dynamic libraries are .dylib ( not .so, or .sl)
- the archive and dynamic library creation tool  is "libtool"

Andrew

Andrew Cunningham
Vibro-Acoustic Sciences Inc
http://www.vasci.com