[vtk-developers] fixing camera-tracking lights in vtk

Sebastien BARRE barre at sic.sp2mi.univ-poitiers.fr
Fri Aug 11 11:10:50 EDT 2000

At 09:55 09/08/00 -0400, Michael Halle a écrit:

> > Is it really necessary to break up the light collection into two? Can't
> > that functionality be achieved with a flag in the light? I think this
> would
> > solve some of your problems.

I do agree with Lisa, this split is not very intuitive to me.

The flag stuff would be OK, and this would clearly state that a light might
be changed by a camera/render, am I right ? Imagine that someone wants to
share lights between renderers : SCENE_LIGHT won't obviously be changed
during camera interaction, but HEADLIGHT or CAMERA_LIGHT will.

>Okay, how about this.  vtkLight gets a flag like CAMERA_LIGHT,
>SCENE_LIGHT, and HEADLIGHT.  HEADLIGHT is the old behavior: always
>move the light to the camera position.  A "legacy" request to
>GetLights() returns a *copy* of the lights,

Woops, if you start working with copy, what about sharing light between
scenes ?

--
Sebastien BARRE
IRCOM-SIC, UMR-CNRS 6615 - Université de Poitiers