[vtk-developers] CVS (vtkbaseline) is huge. TIFF compression ?

Sebastien BARRE sebastien at barre.nom.fr
Thu Aug 3 15:41:41 EDT 2000

Hi

I tried today to write the very latest VTK CVS snapshot to a CDROM, but :

	- VTK source : 20.7 Mo
	- vtkbaseline : 420 Mo
	- vtkdata : 228 Mo

=> 668.7 Mo. More than one CDROM could handle

And if you want to include the very latest documentation (with the new
collaboration graphs I've added today) :
ftp://sic.sp2mi.univ-poitiers.fr/pub/barre/vtk/doc/html/index.html

	- DOC doxygen : 44.9

=> 713.6 Mo

I guess the next distribution will use two CDROM :))

Or maybe has someone already considering adding compression to TIFF ?

Basically, Packbits compression would strip down vtkbaseline from 420 Mo to
232 Mo. The whole CDROM would be 523.6 Mo, leaving spaces for the rest of
the distribution (examples, documentation, images from the book, etc).