[Tomviz] tomviz reconstructions publication quality

Linford Briant linfordbriant at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 16:30:53 EDT 2018

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the info below, and sorry about my ignorance. I didn't realise
tomviz was capable of this already!

Basically, as you may have gathered, I'm not familiar with the export
process and formats in tomviz. I have been exporting Figures as .PNG which
is obviously not good (this was the file format I was meant to attached,
not a .pdf). What format would you recommend I export it as if I want to
make a figure in, say, illustrator or coreldraw? Are you exporting images
simply via File > Export Image > etc? Also, how do you change the quality
of the image exported?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Linford

On 13 Aug 2018 9:09 p.m., "Marcus D. Hanwell" <marcus.hanwell at kitware.com>
wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 5:16 AM Linford Briant <linfordbriant at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Tomviz,
>
> I have used microscopy image browser to segment my objects, and used
> tomviz to 3D render my objects (pdf attached).

I don't think the PDF made it through, so I can't see what you mention.

> Now I want to export these images into good quality images that can be
> published. However, the exported pngs are low quality.
>
> What do you mean here? You can use the palette to change the color palette
(white, black, gray background etc). You can increase the resolution of the
images to be exported. 3D is usually rendered to a raster format, and so to
some extent when publishing you will need to choose a resolution. Tomviz
has been used to produce images used on a few journal covers to date.

> How would you recommend I make my tomviz reconstructions into a
> publishable format? Do I need to go via a different software? If so, which?
>
> You may need to start by being more specific on what you define as "good
quality". We have seen some great visualizations produced with Tomviz that
have been published.

Thanks,

Marcus