[Rtk-users] RTK Scatter Correction

Simon Rit simon.rit at creatis.insa-lyon.fr
Wed Feb 21 02:50:24 EST 2018

Dear Lotte,
These two options address different issues. The first one deals with the
patient scatter and the second one with the detector glare which might come
from the detector scatter (but maybe not (only)). See the work of, e.g.,
Poludniowski to understand the difference
dx.doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/54/12/016
dx.doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/56/6/019
You'll see that the second paper suggests that both must be corrected.
I haven't used those implementations a lot but I think the detector glare
follows closely Poludniowski's paper but Boellaard does not. Boellaard
implementation is the simplest option when only a constant is subtracted
and I actually believe that it's not working properly (but this would need
to be checked, it's been on my todo list for a long while).
There are other options:
- auto-detection of I0 in air does something similar to Boellaard's but
differently
http://www.openrtk.org/Doxygen/classrtk_1_1I0EstimationProjectionFilter.html
- empirical cupping correction:
https://doi.org/10.1118/1.2188076
- Monte Carlo correction if you have a CT image of your object. The tools
to do this are open source, see
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phro.2017.09.002
I hope this helps,
Simon