[Paraview] Paraview display issue on Windows

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Mon May 14 10:50:06 EDT 2018

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 1:52 PM Zhu Junxi <markzhumi1805 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Cory,
>
> I tried a bunch of different versions and found out that those with Qt5
> does not work while those with Qt4 looks fine (i.e., v5.3 and above does
> not work, the latest version that works is v5.2.0 with Qt4). It seems that
> it has something to do with the Qt5. I am wondering if other users are
> experiencing similar issues with Qt5?

Thanks for checking all the versions. We have run into some issues with
Qt5, but I had thought we worked through most of them. This is the first
we've encountered with completely transparent render windows and
translucent UI, hence I was wondering if there was something unique on your
system that modified the graphics environment.

> As for add-ons, do you have a list of specific add-ons that you are
> particularly suspicious of? My desktop has a bunch of software installed
> but they are either work-related (e.g., Matlab) or seemingly harmless
> (e.g., steam). BTW, I don't have Nahimic sound driver, which I saw other
> people reporting messing up with Qt.

Unfortunately, I do not. We have steam installed on some systems that run
ParaView just fine, so I would be surprised if that were the cause. You
could always try removing steam and seeing if ParaView versions 5.2+ work,
but that may be more than you want to do.

You mentioned you have Matlab installed. I believe Matlab ships with Qt and
it may have put its Qt location in your system PATH environment variable.
Try removing (or modifying) your system PATH environment variable so that
ParaView won't find Matlab's Qt instead of the Qt version ParaView ships
with. Some folks have run into this problem in the past and modifying the
PATH was the solution.

Thanks,
Cory

--