[Paraview] Volume Rendering Issues/Bugs

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Mon Mar 26 15:38:21 EDT 2018

> a.      When I select “Real Time” option and increase the time, even though
> it  is cached, it still keeps reloading which prevents the VR from working.
> Is there any potential/possibility to fix this in the meantime or upcoming
> release?

Caching cannot work in "real time"  mode since there's no guarantee
what time each frame will be rendered at.

> b.      When I cache it as a volume (rather than surface, wireframe, or
> points) on my laptop, it crashed the exe even when I increase the cache
> memory maximum size. Any thoughts on that? I tested it on a bigger and
> faster work station and it worked, however, it still has the issue mentioned
> in the point below.

I suspect you're just running out of memory on the system, esp since
you say smaller mesh works.

> 2.      When I get a smaller mesh (4x smaller), I am able to cache it as a
> volume. However, when playing it back, it keeps reloading while showing the
> green bar as below at each time step. Is that supposed to happen? Is that
> rendering? Is there a way to eliminate it or make it faster?

Yes, that's rendering. Cache doesn't cache rendering artifacts. Seems
to me you have unstructured grid which is using  the slow path for
volume rendering. Another option is to apply "Resample To Image"
filter to resample the dataset to an image and volume rendering the
result. Then rendering should be much faster. You can also resample
and generate the image as a processing stage and save the resampled
dataset out and then load and render it in the animation loop.