[Paraview] structured to unstructured when using multiblocks filter

Andy Bauer andy.bauer at kitware.com
Mon Mar 19 06:36:11 EDT 2018

Hi Ufuk,

Currently a multipiece data set always has to be nested under a multiblock
dataset. This definitely seems like an unreasonable limitation on a
structured grid under a multipiece dataset but I suspect we just haven't
had the resources to put into making this work properly. My suggestion
would be to try just having your Catalyst adaptor provide a structured grid
directly, assuming you only have one grid per mpi process, and then try
volume rendering like that. If you do this though, make sure to set the
whole extent with vtkCPInputDataDescription::SetWholeExtent().

A thought here -- instead of changing your adaptor to generate the
structured grid directly instead of a multipiece dataset, maybe create a
second "channel" through a second vtkCPInputDataDescription that provides
just a structured grid. This way you can provide both dataset types as
needed instead of having to modify code back and forth, recompile, etc. to
get different functionality. See the
Examples/Catalyst/CxxMultiChannelInputExample in the 5.5 source code for
some more details on this.

I can't remember if you were using the editions or just the full ParaView
Catalyst build but in 5.5 there will be a volume rendering Catalyst
addition.

Note that the multiblock/multipiece hierarchy will be undergoing a
significant change in the near future.

Best,
Andy