[Paraview] Is a State File's data directory accessible through Python programmable filters?

Roman Kowch rskowch at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 16:26:00 EST 2018

Hi there,

I've been developing ways to build data displays through programmable
filters and their associated Python scripts. After I build a display, I
save the entire layout as a State File. Then, I can give both the State
File and data files used to build the display to another user, so they can
replicate the exact same display on their computer.

A new feature in Paraview allows someone to choose the Data Directory when
they load a State File. However, I don't know a way to pass this Data
Directory path to my Python scripts. Is the Data Directory accessible as a
global environment variable through Paraview's Python shell? It would be
nice if a user could place the data files in any directory they want, then
choose that directory when loading a State File, and have the underlying
Python code (stored in Programmable Filters) in the State File access that
directory.

Currently, I need to require the user to put the data directory in a
special place so that its path matches that written in the Python code.
e.g. The hard-coded directory I've written is "$HOME/Desktop/pvdata". I'm
using Paraview 5.4.1 on OS X.

Thanks for your help,
Roman