[Paraview] Finding all the points associated with one closed contour line

Shuhao Wu shuhao at shuhaowu.com
Mon Feb 19 16:12:50 EST 2018

Hello All,

I'm currently using the Contour filter on a 2D slice. This contour gives
me a series of closed loops at arbitrary locations of my plot. Does
Paraview/VTK already expose a way to group the points associated with
each of these closed loops?

If not, I have two possible strategies to detect these points:

1. I think the contour filter outputs the points of each closed loops in
sequential order in the point array. I could compare the geometric
distance between two sequential points in the array and detect a "large
jump" followed by a "large decrease" to detect the transition from one
loop to the next.

2. I could employ some sort of cluster finding algorithm, although I'm
not sure which one as I do not know how many of these loops are and
likely need something that optimizes for boundaries as opposed to centroids.

Are these ideas sane if PV doesn't already expose some functionalities
that I do not know about?

Thanks,
Shuhao