[Paraview] Broken Streamlines

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Thu Feb 8 16:06:48 EST 2018

Hi Louis,

Very cool dataset. My guess is that there is a topology problem with this
dataset - some cells that are neighbors but don't exactly share vertices on
neighboring faces. Maybe hanging nodes because of some sort of refinement?
This is usually when the point locator fails. To locate a cell containing a
point, it first locates the closest point and then walks neighboring cells
until it finds a match. The walk will fail if two neighbor cells don't
actually share points because of some weird topology. The cell locators is
the fix to these issues. The reason it is not currently the default is
performance. We are working on improving the cell locator performance so
that it can be the default behavior in the future.

Also, as Andy mentioned, the ReasonForTermination array provides good info
for debugging such issues. Here are the possible values:

    OUT_OF_DOMAIN = 0,
    NOT_INITIALIZED = 1 ,
    UNEXPECTED_VALUE = 2,
    OUT_OF_LENGTH = 4,
    OUT_OF_STEPS = 5,
    STAGNATION = 6,

If you see OUT_OF_DOMAIN inside the mesh, it is usually an indication that
you should either fix your mesh or use the cell locator.

Best,
-berk