[Paraview] FEM solver interfaced with Paraview

paul.carrico at free.fr paul.carrico at free.fr
Mon Feb 5 03:26:33 EST 2018

Dear all,

A while ago, I've initiated an internal project to export results from
my Finite Element solver (mechanical and thermal FEA's) and to visualize
it into Paraview
(https://www.paraview.org/pipermail/paraview/2017-November/041481.html);
but I was quite overloaded and this topic has been postponed.

Currently the format of my the solver is not a part of the list
(https://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView/Users_Guide/List_of_readers),
and I'm thinking about the strategy to get the results, to perform
additional calculations, and finally to post-process it  into Paraview.

_Nota_: I'm using 2D and 3D meshes, structures and unstructured ones,
with different element orders, and different type of results (nodal
values and/or cell ones).

Some of the following questions have probably ever been asked, but:

 	* What is the best format to create a result file readable by
Paraview, especially for huge file? after some readings, VTK XML format
seems to be the most interesting (parallelization capabilities) compared
to the legacy VTK one, am I right or do ou have any other suggestion?
 	* I'm still trying to figure out if xdmf and/or hdf5 format are
relevant, and if they are relevant for my application: any feedback on
it?

The workflow I'm imaginating sounds like:

            Intermediate calculations

                             ^

Raw data (ascii file) from my solver --> intermediate file in xdmf or
hdf5 format --> Paraview input file (depending on the reader)

Any feedback, advice and suggestion will be highly appreciated

(I'm quite new with Paraview)

Regards

Paul