[Paraview] Issues creating paraview input

Juan Sanchez juan.e.sanchez at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 14:26:59 EST 2018

Hello,

I have a multiblock vtu writer and an ASCII tecplot writer that I wrote
for my software several years ago, and seems to work fine when read into
Visit.

However, I am having a very difficult time getting any results to work
in paraview.

Tecplot:

1. Tecplot Files fails when trying to display data
2. Tecplot Files (visit) only sees point data and not any element data.

My assumption for the Tecplot readers is that there is probably a line
length limitation somewhere in both tecplot readers.  Causing the
readers to silently fail in odd places.

Paraview:

Paraview reader is able to read my vtm, and vtu files, once I tell it
that the vtm file is multiblock format.  Surface plots work, but all but
one volume disappears for the volume plot.

Question:

Is there a file format library for Python that is known to generate good
results for Paraview?

An example for these listed requirements would be most helpful:

1. 2d (triangular) or 3d (tetrahedral) mesh
2. multiple blocks to the structure.
3. Vertex centered point data
4. Element centered vector data
5. Use modules available in a full featured Python distribution (like
Anaconda Python).
    - vtk
    - h5py

The reason why I would like it in Python, is that I no longer wish to
compile new file format writers into my application.

Regards,

Juan