[Paraview] Loading cell data from a netcdf file in ParaView

Tyson Whitehead twhitehead at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 08:58:15 EDT 2017

Hi all,

A quick request for some help loading cell data from a netcdf file in ParaView.

I'm using the "NetCDF files generic and CF conventions" reader under ParaView 5.2.0 (the x86_64 linux build you can download off the website).  I believe I've followed the CF cell conventions, but it insists on load the data as point data.

http://cfconventions.org/Data/cf-conventions/cf-conventions-1.7/build/ch07.html

Any help would be appreciated.  Here's the relevant details from the file and a link to it

netcdf Pressure.mat {
dimensions:
          x = 10 ;
          y = 4 ;
          z = 2 ;
          time = 12000 ;
          b = 2 ;
variables:
          double x(x) ;
                  x:bounds = "x_bnds" ;
          double y(y) ;
                  y:bounds = "y_bnds" ;
          double z(z) ;
                  z:bounds = "z_bnds" ;
          double time(time) ;
                  time:units = "seconds since 2017-09-19 17:31:17" ;
          double b(b) ;
          double x_bnds(x, b) ;
          double y_bnds(y, b) ;
          double z_bnds(z, b) ;
          double pressure(time, z, y, x) ;
data:
   x = 1.33, 8.335, 16, 24, 32, 40, 48, 56, 63.665, 70.67 ;

   y = 0.87, 3.85, 6.65, 9.63 ;

   z = -0.4, 0.4 ;

   x_bnds =
    0, 4.61174175055394,
    4.61174175055394, 12,
    12, 20,
    20, 28,
    28, 36,
    36, 44,
    44, 52,
    52, 60,
    60, 67.3882582494461,
    67.3882582494461, 72 ;

   y_bnds =
    0, 2.42178882104347,
    2.42178882104347, 5.25,
    5.25, 8.07821117895653,
    8.07821117895653, 10.5 ;

   z_bnds =
    -0.5, 0,
    0, 0.5 ;

   time = ... ;

   pressure = ... ;
}

https://www.sharcnet.ca/~tyson/Pressure.mat.nc

Thanks!  -Tyson

PS:  From playing with other netcdf files I found online, it almost seems to me that ParaView only honors the cell structure when you are in spherical coordinates.  Is cell data just not supported in cartesian coordinates?