[Paraview] parallel processing in volume rendering and Merge Blocks filter ...

Andy Bauer andy.bauer at kitware.com
Thu Sep 21 10:28:01 EDT 2017

Hi Ufuk,

The Merge Blocks filter will work locally on each process and shouldn't
move any of the data between MPI processes since it's a trivially parallel
operation. When doing volume rendering of unstructured grids (the output
dataset type of the merge blocks filter) with Ice-T in parallel, there will
be data moved around in order to simplify and reduce the parallel
communication by constructing convex partitions.

I don't know how NVIDIA's Index plugin works in parallel but my guess would
be that it also wants convex partitions.

Cheers,
Andy