[Paraview] Error message: Not supported on OpenGL ES when I launch Paraview

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Fri Sep 8 09:00:03 EDT 2017

Antonio,

Do you happen to have an integrated graphics chip on your laptop? I
wonder if ParaView is set to use integrated graphics rather than your
NVIDIA card and isn't liking what it finds. You can try going to the
NVIDIA control panel. Under 3D Settings in the panel on the left,
click on "Manage 3D settings". On the right side, click on the "Global
Settings" tab. Make sure "High-performance NVIDIA processor" is
selected. Apply the changes, then run ParaView again to see if the
problem is resolved.

- Cory

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 6:50 PM, Antonio Orlando
<aorlando at herrera.unt.edu.ar> wrote:
> Thanks Cory for your prompt reply and sorry for not sending the
> message to the mailing list.
>
> I have the graphics card NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB DDR5
>
> I can run though Paraview 4.
>
> Thanks again for your attention to this matter.
>
> Cheers
> Antonio

>> Antonio,
>>
>> I'm adding back Utkarsh, who pointed you to the mesa libraries. Please
>> also reply to the mailing list so that others may benefit from and
>> contribute to the discussion.
>>
>> What kind of graphics hardware do you have on that machine?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Cory
>>

>> On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 4:57 PM, Antonio Orlando
>> <aorlando at herrera.unt.edu.ar> wrote:
>>> Hi Cory:
>>>
>>> Thanks for your message and for the drivers.
>>>
>>> I am sorry but it is still not working!
>>>
>>> The error message I get is the following.
>>>
>>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> ERROR: In
>>> C:\bbd\7cc78367\build\superbuild\paraview\src\VTK\Rendering\OpenGL2\vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx,
>>> line 819
>>> vtkGenericOpenGLRenderWindow (000000214C5F3460): GLEW could not be
>>> initialized.
>>>
>>> ERROR: In
>>> C:\bbd\7cc78367\build\superbuild\paraview\src\VTK\Rendering\OpenGL2\vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx,
>>> line 819
>>> vtkGenericOpenGLRenderWindow (000000214C5F3460): GLEW could not be
>>> initialized.
>>>
>>> ERROR: In
>>> C:\bbd\7cc78367\build\superbuild\paraview\src\VTK\Rendering\OpenGL2\vtkShaderProgram.cxx,
>>> line 453
>>> vtkShaderProgram (000000214CB8B7A0): Shader object was not
>>> initialized, cannot attach it.
>>>
>>> ERROR: In
>>> C:\bbd\7cc78367\build\superbuild\paraview\src\VTK\Rendering\OpenGL2\vtkShaderProgram.cxx,
>>> line 408
>>> vtkShaderProgram (000000214CB8B7A0): 1: #version 120
>>> 2: #ifdef GL_ES
>>> 3: #if __VERSION__ == 300
>>> 4: #define attribute in
>>> 5: #define varying out
>>> 6: #endif // 300
>>> 7: #else // GL_ES
>>> 8: #define highp
>>> 9: #define mediump
>>> 10: #define lowp
>>> 11: #if __VERSION__ == 150
>>> 12: #define attribute in
>>> 13: #define varying out
>>> 14: #endif
>>> 15: #endif // GL_ES
>>> 16:
>>> 17:
>>> 18:
>>> /*=========================================================================
>>> 19:
>>> 20:   Program:   Visualization Toolkit
>>> 21:   Module:    vtkPolyDataVS.glsl
>>> 22:
>>> 23:   Copyright (c) Ken Martin, Will Schroeder, Bill Lorensen
>>> 24:   All rights reserved.
>>> 25:   See Copyright.txt or http://www.kitware.com/Copyright.htm for
>>> details.
>>> 26:
>>> 27:      This software is distributed WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even
>>> 28:      the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
>>> PARTICULAR
>>> 29:      PURPOSE.  See the above copyright notice for more information.
>>> 30:
>>> 31:
>>> =========================================================================*/
>>> 32:
>>> 33: attribute vec4 vertexMC;
>>> 34:
>>> 35: // frag position in VC
>>> 36: //VTK::PositionVC::Dec
>>> 37:
>>> 38: // optional normal declaration
>>> 39: //VTK::Normal::Dec
>>> 40:
>>> 41: // extra lighting parameters
>>> 42: //VTK::Light::Dec
>>> 43:
>>> 44: // Texture coordinates
>>> 45: //VTK::TCoord::Dec
>>> 46:
>>> 47: // material property values
>>> 48: //VTK::Color::Dec
>>> 49:
>>> 50: // clipping plane vars
>>> 51: //VTK::Clip::Dec
>>> 52:
>>> 53: // camera and actor matrix values
>>> 54: uniform mat4 MCDCMatrix;
>>> 55:
>>> 56: // Apple Bug
>>> 57: //VTK::PrimID::Dec
>>> 58:
>>> 59: // Value raster
>>> 60: //VTK::ValuePass::Dec
>>> 61:
>>> 62: void main()
>>> 63: {
>>> 64:   //VTK::Color::Impl
>>> 65:
>>> 66:   //VTK::Normal::Impl
>>> 67:
>>> 68:   //VTK::TCoord::Impl
>>> 69:
>>> 70:   //VTK::Clip::Impl
>>> 71:
>>> 72:   //VTK::PrimID::Impl
>>> 73:
>>> 74:     gl_Position = MCDCMatrix * vertexMC;
>>> 75:
>>> 76:
>>> 77:   //VTK::ValuePass::Impl
>>> 78: