[Paraview] paraview display issue on parallel files

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Thu Sep 7 16:18:48 EDT 2017

Rilin,

I think I found a solution for you that will work at least most of the time. The solution is to simply write out .vtm files instead of .pvtu files. vtm, which is the multiblock file format, is similar to the pvt* format. The main difference is that when VTK reads in vtm files it keeps the data from different files in different blocks, and that will prevent ParaView from removing what it thinks are internal faces. I’ve attached an example vtkm file to this email.

A bit more explanation and a description of where this will fail. As Andy said the problem is that the files in your dataset have overlapping cells. When ParaView reads in a pvtu file, it combines all the cells from all files into a single mesh, and this mesh will have duplicates of the overlapping cells. By definition, these overlapping cells will share all of their faces. ParaView’s external faces algorithm assumes that if two cells have the same face, that face must be internal and can be removed (which is true in conforming meshes but not when there are duplicate cells). When you first load your mesh into ParaView, everything seems to be working fine because the reader is also creating duplicate points so index-wise the duplicate cells register as different. But many operations (like merge cells, clip, and D3) will find coincident points and merge them together. That’s when ParaView removes all the faces of all duplicate cells.

When ParaView reads the vtm file, it keeps the data from each file in a separate mesh. When ParaView runs algorithms like external faces, it does so independently from each other. So even if the cells are sharing faces, they will be across blocks and will still be considered external. The multiblock structure should remain intact as long as you don’t run a filter that merges them together like D3 or Merge Blocks.

Hope that helps.

-Ken