[Paraview] paraview display issue on parallel files

Rilin Shen shenrilin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 15:38:09 EDT 2017

Dear Andy,

Thanks very much.

You can remap the point variables back onto the points using the Resample
> with Dataset filter but that won't work for cell data.

I tried the method you advised. Assuming that the original file name is A
and the file after Clean to Grid and Clean Cells to Grid is B, I tried two
different options for the source for Resample with DataSets and both A and
B are not working.  Do I misunderstand something?

I believe that the D3 filter is only available if you have ParaView
> built/installed with MPI. Even then it will only work if you're running
> with more than a single MPI process.

I only use serial paraview to process multi-results generated by other
programs.  I don't use the parallel paraview to deal with large datasets so
I think D3 filter is not suitable for me.

I still suggest writing out the data with either marking the repeated cells
> as ghost cells or not including them in the file as any other thing you do
> to get around that can become fairly expensive and manually intensive as
> you go to bigger datasets.

I would try to not include repeated cells in the original output file. But
how to mark the repeated cells as ghost cells? I think there should a
vtu/pvtu file format to describe it but I didn't find it on the internet.
Could you please share it to me?

BTW,  when I clip a small model with 6700 elements generated by 40
processors, it looks fine. So my question: is there a limit to deal with
the large dataset for paraview?

Best regards,

Rilin Shen
Division of Solid Mechanics, School of Astronautics
*Harbin Institute of Technology*, Harbin 150001, China
Civil Engineering & Engineering Mechanics
*Columbia University*, New York 10027, U.S.
Tel: (+1) 646-200-2122
Email: shenrilin at gmail.com  /  rs3741 at columbia.edu <shenrilin at 126.com>