[Paraview] GIS - VTK/Blender - Converter

Michael Nolde mnolde at gmx.net
Sat Oct 28 10:36:03 EDT 2017

Dear mailing list members,

I'd like to announce 'geoTriMesh', a Python module I wrote to convert
GIS data to the 3D visualisation environments. It has full support for
donut- and multipolygons as well as projected coordinates. It works by
creating a topological mesh by triangulating coordinate information from
a source polygon and merging it with elevation and color raster data.
The result is written to VTU unstructured grid to be imported into
ParaView. X3D is also supported, as well as Python/mplot3d

It's free (Apache License) and available as Python Module (installable
via pip) as well as QGIS Plugin:
https://github.com/flatpolar

Also, I used the library to create a global elevation mesh dataset
(spherical and flat projection), which can be downloaded here and used
for private or commercial 3D modelling projects (CC-BY license):
http://flatpolar.org/tocomee.html

A detailed description of the dataset is available here:
http://ijsdir.jrc.ec.europa.eu/index.php/ijsdir/article/view/455

I'm happy to receive feedback.

Cheers, Michael