[Paraview] Does Catalyst add MPI processes or use TCP communication?

Kolja Petersen petersenkolja at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 07:50:10 EDT 2017

Hello,
I am trying to understand a Catalyst implementation detail.

Because parallel Catalyst may transfer huge data to a parallel pvserver, I
thought the Catalyst processes would have themselves added to the
pvserver's MPI communicator. However, MPI_Comm_spawn() is the only function
that I know of for this task, and I find "MPI_Comm_spawn" nowhere in the
code (searched case insensitive).

I thought that the standard Catalyst TCP port 22222 was only used for
control messages between Catalyst and pvserver, and data exchange would go
via MPI. But apparently there is no MPI connection between Catalyst and
pvserver, and all data are sent via TCP:22222, which could explain observed
network bottlenecks.

Can somebody clarify this implementation detail?
Thanks
Kolja