[Paraview] Is it possible to group vtkImageData objects?

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Fri Oct 20 08:48:07 EDT 2017

Hi Jimmy,

Try "Append Attributes". This will yield a single vtkImageData that has
several point data arrays, or "attributes". As long as the input
vtkImageData have the same dimensions, this filter will do what you like.
You can then pick which array you want to view with the Volume
representation.

To extract a vtkImageData with one or a subset of the appended arrays, you
can use "Extract Component" or "Pass Arrays", respectively.

HTH,
Cory

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 7:29 AM, A . <super_achie at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dear community,
>

> Is it possible with ParaView to group vtkImageData objects in a single
> file format? I would like to import a couple of regular grids (i.e.
> vtkImageData objects) as a single file, rather than as grid_1.pvti,
> grid_2.pvti, etc... Once imported I would like to simply select which grid
> to visualize (with volume rendering).
>

> I tried the following structures already:
>

>    1. vktMultiBlockDataSet containing N vtkImageData objects as child
>    blocks.
>    2. vtkMultiBlockDataSet containing 1 vtkMultiPieceDataSet, which
>    contains N vtkImageData objects as child pieces
>

> The first structure kind of works, but in order to visualize one
> vtkImageData I need to "Extract Block" and "Resample to Image", which
> doesn't result in the exact same image when doing volume rendering.
> The second structure mixes my vtkImageData into a single data object. I
> cannot do something like "Extract Piece".
>
> The main reason I want to have a single data structure containing all my
> grids is so that I can pass it to my Python CoProcess Catalyst pipeline.
> The number of grids can vary so I cannot simply hardcode the pipeline for a
> fixed number of grids.
>
> If there is a way to make this work, please let me know!
>
> Best,
> Jimmy

> opensource/opensource.html

Cory Quammen