[Paraview] Saving as csv data

Li, Teng tengli2 at illinois.edu
Mon Oct 9 16:09:05 EDT 2017

Hi Utkarsh,

Thanks!

I have successfully use the "Cell Data To Point Data" filter and save a csv file with all the components I expected to see.

Actually, I would like to process the three stress component data in the original VTK file. So I choose to save them as the CSV data. However, I have totally 118 time steps, thus 118 VTK files. If I save all of them and process each in the Matlab and finally show back in Paraview, that will be a huge amount of work. So I use python shell to access the data and process them. After some searching, I find some valuable codes:

1.
>>> a =GetActiveSource()                            # First highlight the stress vtk file in pipeline.
>>> a
<paraview.servermanager.LegacyVTKReader object at 0x0000006D080174E0>
>>> a.UpdatePipeline()
>>> rawData = servermanager.Fetch(a)
>>> data_cell = rawData.CELL_DATA_FIELD
>>> data_cell
>>> data_cell = rawData.GetCellData
>>> data_cell
<built-in method GetCellData of vtkCommonDataModelPython.vtkUnstructuredGrid object at 0x0000006D08060648>
>>> print data_cell
<built-in method GetCellData of vtkCommonDataModelPython.vtkUnstructuredGrid object at 0x0000006D08060648>

As we can see, this code only gives some simple information, not the actual stress data I need to process. I am wondering how I can access the actual data so I can finish all the calculation in Paraview. And since Paraview can read file series, so I can process the data once and change all of them in all the files.

So my question is how I can get access to the stress data in the vtk file using python shell.

Best,
Teng

Teng Li

Master Candidate in Structures

205 North Mathews Ave, Urbana, IL. 61801

Phone:(217)8196210, Email: tengli2 at illinois.edu