[Paraview] XDMF Version 2 and 3 Differences

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Mon Oct 2 13:58:24 EDT 2017

Hi Mike.

You mean select the XDMF "Reader", not "Writer" when you open the file
correct?

In theory XDMF3 should read almost anything XDMF2 could. The main practical
differences in my recollection are:

+ xdmf3 doesn't leak memory and is faster and less of a memory hog,
especially with time varying data, in my experience.
+ xdmf3's field data arrays work better and in particular support arbitrary
width arrays
+ Thanks to Michal Habera's Google Summer of Code project xdmf3 master (in
nightly binaries and will appear in PV 5.5) has support for "other"
centered (more than 1 per cell) data in support of FEniCS higher order
cells.
+ xdmf3 has a much better suite of tests and contribution path than xdmf2
ever did

= xdmf3 had a boost dependency up until about a week ago (will appear in PV
5.5).

- xdmf3 tends to complain on files that use default/implied values in the
xml entries.
- xdmf3 doesn't automatically parallelize structured datasets when read in
parallel
- xdmf3 doesn't support strides for structured datasets
- xdfm3 doesn't support "hyperslab, list or range" temporal specifications
- xdmf3 lacks support for function specifications
- xdmf3's notion of subset is slightly different than xdmf2 (2's were
relative to cell, 3's are relative to face/edge or something to that effect)

If you can share one of your files I'll take a look.

thanks

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
Principal Engineer