[Paraview] Specific OpenFOAM case crashes the server

Robert Sawko robertsawko at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 20:01:59 EDT 2017

Dear All,

I have been recently testing remote rendering in paraview and I seem to have
concocted a case which breaks remotely works locally. The case is an OpenFOAM
U-bend simulation and I am happy to share the files. They're about 61MB.

On the remote side I get:

pvserver: /.../viz/ParaView-v5.4.1/VTK/IO/Geometry/vtkOpenFOAMReader.cxx:3798: void vtkFoamEntryValue::ReadList(vtkFoamIOobject&): Assertion `"Label type not set!" && this->GetLabelType() != NO_LABEL_TYPE' failed.

On the local side it looks that I simply get disconnected which makes sense
seeing that the server core dumped.

I tried to remove all weirdness from this case and at the moment it is really
just a tet+quad mesh and some case files. If I open the case directly with the
client everything works.

I am really keen to solve it as when remote viz works, it's absolutely
brilliant. I would appreciate comments. Thanks.

A side note is that looks to me that PV OpenFOAM reader cannot handle
"included" files used by OpenFOAM.

Best wishes,
Robert
--