[Paraview] netcdf

Rupert Gladstone rupertgladstone1972 at gmail.com
Mon May 15 03:37:14 EDT 2017

Hi, I have a question about netcdf formats.  I am developing a coupled ice
sheet - ocean model.  Currently both models run in the same cartesian
coordinate system.  The ice model outputs unstructured .vtu files, which
paraview reads just fine.  The ocean model outputs structured netcdf
files.  If I naively select the "generic and CF conventions" option when
reading the ocean netcdf file then the data display ok, but not to scale.
It seems like the structured fields have been read in just fine, but the
coordinate variables have not.  I don't think the netcdf files are CF
compliant.  I would like to be able to read in both .vtu files and netcdf
files and display the data sets together on the same scale.

Do you know what I need to do to read in the netcdf coordinate vars
correctly?  I am hoping that I can simply insert a post-processing step to
implement some minor manipulation to the ocean model output files so that
Paraview can read them in to scale.  Is it simply a case of renaming the
coordinate variables in the netcdf file such that they have the same names
as the corresponding dimensions?  Note that this is not in general possible
as some of the coordinate variables are two-dimensional variables (in the
horizontal plane), though for most of the simulations we plan in the near
future I can enforce that the coord vars will have a one to one
correspondence to the dimension vars (i.e. I can enforce that coord vars
are 1D).

Is the ordering of dimensions important?
Is the ordering of coordinate vars important?
Is the naming of dimensions important?
Is the naming of coord vars important?
Can Paraview cope with 2D coord vars?  If so, how does Paraview know which
coordinate var applies to which var?

Thanks very much for your help.

Regards,
Rupert Gladstone