[Paraview] Bug or feature?

Cornelis Bockemühl cornelis.bockemuehl at gmail.com
Wed May 10 01:40:04 EDT 2017

Hello,

Sorry for not posting to the list: this was by mistake, not my intention!
(But there is also this "feature" of the list that it never sends me my own
postings back - with the effect that my mail program (Gmail) moves threads
in the mailing list that I have initiated to my personal mail folder, no
way to bring it to the forums.

I am thus posting the stripped down example once more for all, together
with screen shots that illustrate the problem:

example_0.zip - contains the vtu file with the unstructured grid.
Displaying Col2Comp::Comp2 shows the problem best

screenshot1.jpg - shows how it looks with "Surface" rendering on my computer
screenshot2.jpg - shows the same with "Volume" rendering --> WRONG!
screenshot3.jpg - shows the same again, but now after extracting
Col2Comp::Comp2 into a separate column using the "Calculator" filter -->
CORRECT!

Regarding the color map editor I can only say so far that I did not change
anything between the 3 screenshots - and since screenshot3 shows the
correct display I am not really sure that this is the issue.

The cell connectivity is indeed not as it is typically expected: The blocks
are touching each other, but only vertically adjacent blocks also share
edges and nodes. This is on purpose because it reflects the kind of problem
I am dealing with. Of course it is possible that also this influences the
volume rendering, but again the fact that screenshot 3 is correct while 2
is wrong lets me doubt this track.

My guess without further investigation is that it might be some caching
issue: Assuming that a rendered volume is somehow kept in memory for a
possible further use, there might be some problem with managing the cached
data for "columns" and "components" properly.

In other words: My current guess is that there is a bug in the volume
rendering.

With kind regards - and thanks for any helpful hints!
Cornelis