[Paraview] SWKey: How to Clean-up an STL datum set?

Samuel Key samuelkey at bresnan.net
Tue Mar 21 16:07:48 EDT 2017

Greetings Utkarsh!

Your advice is exceptional; the remaining "unwanted" STL triangles
attached to the desired STL surface have been removed.

A couple of lessons:

(1) At first the instruction sequence seemed to me a little awkward.
However, after repeated use it became rhythmic. I did find it better to
reset/uncheck *Invert Selection* of the*Edit | Find Data* panel before
going to the next location.

(2) It took a couple of tries for me to discover that the unwanted
fin-like attachments were actually zero-thickness regions with matching
back-to-back STL-triangles -- one for each side, and hence, it required
a second removal go around. (The original 30+ layered tetrahedral mesh
as our Japanese colleagues would say, "was not so good.")

(3) A triangular hole required a hand-crafted STL-triangle with a
borrowed normal-vector from a neighbor triangle. After writing out the
datum set, hand editing the STL-file to add in the missing triangle and
renaming a copy of the datum-set, a read and write with PV showed that
PV 'corrected' the normal vector. Whoever wrote that section of code
deserves a pat on the back.

(4) The PV window with the row of miniature icons in upper-left corner
took me a couple of  tries to figure out that add & subtract were clues
to use ctrl & shift keys when making selections. IMHO, well done.

(5) Message to myself: "The more you use ParaView, the smarter it gets."

Thanks for really great tool!

Sam Key